Lumbee River EMC realizes that many of our members have to stretch their money each month just to make ends meet.  When a crisis or emergency occurs, it can create a hardship.  Oftentimes, choices have to be made between medicine, food, and electricity.

As part of our continued commitment to our Member-Owners, Lumbee River EMC partners with local community service agencies through our “LREMC Cares Energy Assistance Program” to assistance members who are experiencing a hardship.  The agencies use Crisis Intervention Program (CIP) guidelines to determine member eligibility for funds.  Eligible members can receive up to $150.00 in assistance one time a year.

If you or someone you know is experiencing a hardship and need assistance with paying an electric bill, we recommend you consult the community service agency in your area:

Cumberland County:
Fayetteville Urban Ministry
701 Whitfield Street
Fayetteville, NC 28306

Hoke County:
Senior Services of Hoke County
423 E. Central Avenue
Raeford, NC 28376

Robeson County:
Robeson County Church & Community Services
600 West 5th Street
Lumberton, NC 28358

Scotland County:
Scotland County Community Services
108 S. Gill Street
Laurinburg, NC

In addition to contacting the agencies listed above, North Carolina 2-1-1 has trained professionals that can provide referrals to resources for utility assistance, basic human needs, child care, elder care, housing assistance and more. Help is available 24/7 just by dialing 211 from your phone.

The North Carolina Department of Social Services offers several ways to assist members with their utility bills.

Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP): program that provides for a one-time vendor payment to help eligible households pay their heating bills.

Crisis Intervention Program (CIP): Federally funded program that assists individuals and families who are experiencing a heating or cooling related crisis.

North Carolina Weatherization Assistance: helps low income North Carolinians save energy, reduce their utility bills, and stay safe in their homes.

How can you help?
 You can help your fellow member-owners by contributing as little as .50¢ per month to the LREMC Cares Energy Assistance Program. For more details on how you can help, call 910-843-4131.